[ale] DSL static IP

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jul 4 15:25:55 EDT 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2007 02:10:21 pm John Mills wrote:
>
>> OpenSSH on the remote linux (puTTY on remote Windows); openSSH/sshd on the
>> home system. Open the incoming ssh port on the home system's firewall, and
>> forward that port through your LAN router (if any) to the home system.
>>

> I've used winscp & putty from my laptop to my desktop within my own home
> network. The next part is what I'm not familiar with.. SO, my home network is
> 192.168.10.X and bellsouth gave me a static IP of... I forget the IP, just
> call it xxx.yyy.zzz.10 . My DSL modem attachs to my netgear router, which is
> 192.168.10.1 .  I am using firestarter on opensuse, but I don't see a
> firestarter process running. So how do I get from the outside world, to my
> desktop machine on the 192.168.10 network from my static IP of
> xxx.yyy.zzz.10 ?

Here's how I do it.  I have a westell modem and I configured it to
forward port 22 to 192.168.1.97, which is the IP address that my Linksys
is using to communicate with the Westell.  In the Linksys, I forward
port 22 to 192.168.2.55, which is one of my servers running sshd.  Now
when I connect to my static IP address, ssh 123.123.12.21 (phoney) from
my motel room using the laptop, I get directly into the .55 system.  I
access the Westell locally (from the .55 machine) by
http://192.168.1.254.  I think I access the Linksys from 192.168.2.1.

That works for me.  I can't help you find the place to forward the
Netgear router, but on the Westell, I enter export mode (must have
javascript on to do this)/Configure/Nat
There's a dropdown selection box you'll find "SSH Secure Shell".  Edit
that and add the destination (192.168.2.55 in my case).

Jim.