[ale] formatting help needed

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Jul 2 12:15:27 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 11:42 -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> The problem:
> Rebuilt box has two 250 GB SATA hard drives, new mobo
> w/onboard Nvidia GPU, faster CPU, more memory.
> I prefer KDE (slightly) to Gnome [THIS IS NOT FLAME BAIT] and
> am getting tired of the hassle Red Hat puts me through trying
> to get the GUI running a more or less straight KDE.  So I
> thought I'd try Kbuntu.
>
> So I got the CD and took a look.
>
> Question #1:
>   Does anybody know how to set up a Kubuntu install so that it has
> the traditional (protected) root account AND one or more user acnts.
> Looking at the install process it looks like the install process was
> copied from Windoze and the initial account is both user and root.
> That's dumb.

The initial account isn't root, but they (and all users in the group
named admin) can run commands as root using the sudo command. The root
account by default does not have a password and thus can't be directly
used.

To enable root, run sudo passwd to give the root user a password.

To disable the use of sudo, edit /etc/sudoers (use the command visudo to
do this safely) and comment out the line that references admin group. If
you do this, I imagine you'll need to use update-alternatives to switch
from gksudo to gksu.

> The Kbuntu install apparently doesn't have any way to set up a RAID
> with the two drives.

(K)ubuntu has two installers. The livd-cd is faster and simpler, the
alternate installer gives you more options, including RAID.
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/feisty/kubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso

-Brian