[ale] PCI-e multiport serial cards

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Jan 26 09:48:37 EST 2007

Computone - haven't heard of them in years.  Used many of their products
- never much cared for them even though they were based in Norcross.

One vendor I had a lot of respect for doing serial was Stallion
Technologies.  They're an Australian company.   We did a major rollout
for a large hotel chain and started with Computone then moved to
Stallion.   They had a modular product that allowed you to extend number
of ports and distance from the server by daisy chaining them together.

Looking in Google it seems they're still around and have some PCI
products.  They might be worth a look.

Another vendor that I didn't much care for was Digiboard.  When they
sent us a demo for a sale for the above hotel company (at least 2000
units on the line) one of the ports didn't work and getting through to
their support even with supposed pre-arrangement was a nightmare.  It
effectively killed the deal for them leaving only Computone and Stallion
in the running.

By the way if you did find Computone somehow you'd need to remember they
wired DCE rather than DTE like everyone else.