[ale] Debian HPPA Installation

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:41:15 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 15:50 -0500, Jim wrote:

> Brian Pitts wrote:
> > I thought CD would be best, but then I'm stuck trying to find a SCSI-3
> > CD-ROM drive. Netboot would mean an BNC to RJ45 adapter, which seem
> > pretty pricey.
> >

> If you have more time than money, I suspect you can find one of the old
> 10Base2 cards that have BNC connectors for little or nothing.  Take that
> and any old pc with a 10BaseT or 100BaseT card and turn it into a
> router.  It'd take some work, but would be cheaper than a BNC to RJ45
> adapter if you had an extra pc laying around.

Hahaha... if we were in Toledo, OH (where I come from) I would be able
to find one of those pretty easily... there are stores all over there
that have "dump bins" of parts that are obsolete and not in high
demand--but are rather high in supply.  As a result, they tend to go for
like $3 or less in many places... of course, sometimes you have to go
through 10 pieces to find a single functional one, but that's the way
life goes sometimes.

Are there places like that around here where there are massive dump-bins
of antiquated electronics and computer hardware?

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!