[ale] why won't my startup script run?

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 25 04:10:33 EST 2007

Hi,

I can't figure out why a simple startup script isn't getting called on my SuSE
10.2 system.

Here's what I'm doing:

I created a file called /etc/init.d/test which just echoes hello to a file in
my home dir. It works when I run it from the cmdline. Next, I create 2
symbolic links in /etc/init.d/rc5.d: S09test and K09test. Both of these point
to ../test. These also work when run from the cmdline.

I then run init 3 followed by init 5 (as root). However, the output file does
not get created which tells me that the script was never run. What am I
missing?!

Here is my test script:

/bin/echo hello >/home/timtw/test.log