[ale] Perl Linux/Unix to Windows 2003

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 10:07:21 EST 2007

On 1/24/07, Jerry Yu <jjj863 at gmail.com> wrote:
> / works, if I recall correctly from my experience with Cygwin's port of perl
> on Windows NT 4...
> however, under cygwin, the reference of the absolute path differs a bit in
> that it is now /cygdrive/c to get to root of C:
>

> On 1/23/07, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 21:37 -0500, Terry Bailey wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have some really neat Perl scripts running on Linux/Unix.
> Unfortunately,
> > > I have a requirement to run some of them on Windows 2003.  In general,
> it
> > > is possible to migrate without changing much Perl code.  For example,
> can I
> > > contiuue to use front slash instead of back slash and is it posible for
> > > commands like "ls" to still work?
> >
> > I do not think that the front slash will work.  You could install Cygwin
> > on the Windoze box and use Perl for Cygwin instead of Active State.
> >

> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Terry Bailey

For your consideration:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ and http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
- Gnu Win32 native utils to drop-in for unix binaries
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/default.mspx
- Windows Services for Unix

BUT - by and large, if you have anything backtick-y in your perl
scripts, consider re-engineering those parts with existing modules
from CPAN (verifying that they're available for ActiveState). Your
migrations will likely be easier, and your long-term maintenance too.

Cygwin is OK, as far as it goes. There are other options.

If you have deeper perl questions, I'm sure a few of us on this list
will take a crack at them, but you may want to ask the Atlanta Perl
Mongers, too ( http://atlanta.pm.org/ ).

-Alex