[ale] Strange start-up problems

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Tue Jan 23 19:38:47 EST 2007

The other day my primary workstation went out for no reason.  I methodically
started pulling out cards until I got it to start again with just a single
drive (SATA) and the AGP video card in it.  It ran for a short period of
time (5 minutes) and went out.  Now when I plug it in (with the power supply
switch off) and turn on the power switch the only thing that happens is the
fans will turn for a few revolutions, a red light on the motherboard will
light up and power will flow thru the mouse/keyboard to my KBM switch.  It
is not making it to POST nor are the fans starting.  Hitting the front power
on switch and the re-boot switch does nothing.  Sometimes the machine will
give out the familiar "beep" I have come to know and love and then ...
nothing.   I have replaced the power cord and tried a different electrical
socket but no joy.  I also made sure the connections from the case's front
power button to the mobo were ok (they were).  The power supply is 550 watts
and somewhat new.  It has an AccelerTech ARIMA HDAMC motherboard (which is
discontinued and rightly so as I RMA'd about 3 before this one).  The
machine is my primary workstation so it's pretty valuable to me and I would
like to get it up as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the reason for the pc's
non-starting behaviour ?  Since I see a light on the mobo light up I "think"
the power supply is ok.  My first guess is a failed mobo, but when I have
had them go out I get nothing at all from them.

If it's the motherboard does anyone have any recommendations on a dual
Opteron (246) motherboard ??  So far the only ones I have seen are Tyan's.

Ideas, clues, and wild guesses appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg