[ale] Linux box as a router w/DHCP

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 09:54:51 EST 2007

The P2 machine I use, I got off eBay for $25.

The "problem" with the IP address being assigned from the ISP via DHCP
lies in the way the firewall scripts have to be written. If the ISP
is... silly, and assigns a new IP address every lease renewal, or even
every day (whatever), then they scripts have to be able to handle
that. If you have a static IP from your ISP, then you can reference
the same external IP in your firewall rules without care. If you have
a dynamic IP, you have to get a little crafty and retrieve the current
external IP every time the script is run.

If you're using a third party script like the sentryCD system you are
using, then you don't really have to worry about it. Such scripts are
written to be generic and take such a scenario into account. If you
are writing your own scripts, as I assume Mr. Kruger is, then you have
to do it yourself.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/