[ale] Rebuild partition table

Paul Borghese pborghese at groupstudy.com
Mon Jan 22 00:42:08 EST 2007

I have a dual-boot machine with two disk, one running Linux and the other
Windows XP.

Do to work requirements I needed to install a larger hard drive for my
Windows XP partition.  I used the Maxblastor software to move my old
Windows software to the new hard drive.  Everything went fine except for
the Windows partition would not boot.  I beleive the Maxtor software was
unable to handle the GRUB MBR.  So I found my Windows installation disk
and performed a fixmbr and fixboot figuring I can always reboot using a
Linux rescue disk to reinstall GRUB.

There is a good chance I ended up running fixmbr and fixboot not just on
the Windows disk but also my Linux drive.  The linux drive is now
unbootable.  When I try to mound my linux partition using an Ubuntu live
disk, I am told the partition does not exist.  Finally when I run fdisk, I
receive the following output:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdc: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

This doesn't look like a partition table
Probably you selected the wrong device.

/dev/sdc1   ?      116388      126889    84344761   69  Unknown
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdc2   ?      105915      222310   934940732+  73  Unknown
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdc3   ?           1           1           0   74  Unknown
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdc4               1      213826  1717556736    0  Empty
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order

So it looks like in the process of restoring my Windows disk, I corrupted
my  Linux disk partition table.  Any ideas on how to repair the partition
table without loosing data?

Thanks!

Paul