[ale] OT: UPS

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 21 16:39:44 EST 2007

I've had serious issues with a couple of the Belkin UPSs, and won't buy
another one. One that I had worked fine as long as the utility power was
available, but as soon as you lost utility, the unit would run for about
15 seconds and then drop the load. I tested the battery, and it was
fine. In fact, I put it in another UPS, and it worked well for over two
years.

I've got two of the APC RS1500 UPSs, and they are very good units. It
comes with a copy of APC's Powechute software for Windows, but there is
also a very good (a couple of them, actually) Linux UPS control
applications available, and APC has a Linux version available on their
web site.

Dan