[ale] CUPS and "unsupported format" messages.

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 08:55:43 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 01:25 -0500, Dow Hurst wrote:

> I don't really have a clue based on the info you've provided and my
> experience with CUPS so far.  It is a strange message.
>
> However, I noticed on the codeweavers forum a suggestion to load a 32
> bit version of CUPS when interacting with codeweavers Crossover for
> Linux 6.0 beta.  That suggests that a 32bit WINE would not work with a
> 64bit lib of CUPS.  Not sure really how much that applies to you, but I
> thought I'd pass this on for you to think about.
>
> Are you testing as root or as a normal user?

Normal install setup, so I assume that means as a normal user because it
should run under the "cups" user and group when installed.  However, I
seem to have got past that error message now.  Now, the thing simply
won't print.  The problem seemed to be the order in which I installed
CUPS and ESP's customized Ghostscript.  I guess CUPS has to be installed
first, and ESP Ghostscript has to be installed second.  There was also
some issue with fonts that I seem to have fixed by creating a symlink to
the appropriate place (from /usr/share/fonts/defaults/Type1
to /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts because for some silly reason it
didn't put the latter in its search path).

Now, I have a problem with the thing sending data to the printer, which
probably leaves the realm of on-topic here (at least if the problem
isn't CUPS' or hardware's fault--the OS is FreeBSD on this one.  :-))
The weird thing is that I haven't ever had a problem before, and it
isn't any of the usual problems that I would expect it to be--device
ownership, permissions, or anything like that.  And since I can cat to
the device node, I know that it's not the printer or USB subsystem in
FreeBSD itself.  What I can't figure out is what that leaves me with,
other than CUPS, which is really annoying.

Easy Software Products is anything but, if you ask me.  I have never had
so much trouble setting up anything in my life.  :-)

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!