[ale] Broadband wireless router

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 08:48:51 EST 2007

many residential 'wireless router's have both WAP (wireless access point)
and Ethernet ports. The tech spec for the item will list # of CAT-5 ports.
For starters,  Netgear MR814v2, v3, WGR614v6 are easy to admin and UI is
intuitive. They all have four CAT-5 ports as well as WAP. A wireless LED
indicator on the front panel, when you turn it off or on via a web page. For
link security, WGR614v6 supports WPA-personal, plus regular (broken) WEP.

VPN or at least SSH tunnels over the wireless link (& Ethernet link) will
afford you better data protection fro your remote admin work.

If wireless link is not trust-worthy to you, turning it only on on-demand
helps a bit but not a whole lot. you may want to go extra mile to segment
that network (and computers/laptop).