[ale] Broadband wireless router

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 00:21:53 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 20:46 -0800, Steve Nicholas wrote:

> All,
> Have recently upgraded to Comcast BB.  Works great so far.  Looking
> for a broadband router with both cat5 and wireless capabilities
> compatible with Linux (currently FC5).  I would only use the wireless
> for my laptop, which would be maybe 10% of the time.  The other 2 Pcs
> (mine FC5, wifes XP :-( would have a cat5 connection.
>
> My question is: is there a router that can handle both cat5 and
> wireless, but with the option of turning wireless off when not
> needed ?  Homes are close, and wireless networks abound in my
> neighborhood.  Networks bleed over, and I like the security of cat5
> for my remote admin work.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Try to find a Linksys WRT54G that is compatible with the OpenWRT
firmware.  It is quite nice, and with OpenWRT you can do virtually
anything with the Wireless network, including separating it from the
wired network that you have in the house, if you wish.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!