[ale] SSH Tunnel Problem

Nick Travis wormfishin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 15:45:43 EST 2007

I'be been using an ssh tunnel through a socks server for several years and
it suddenly stopped working.  I create the tunnel with 'socksify ssh -f -N
-vvv -L3307:localhost:3306 10.x.x.x' and it appears to create the tunnel
with no problems.  However as soon as a try 'telnet localhost 3307' I get
this:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
debug1: Connection to port 3307 forwarding to localhost port 3306 requested.
debug2: fd 7 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: fd 7 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug3: fd 7 is O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 2: new [direct-tcpip]
get_socket_address: getnameinfo 1 failed: ai_family not supported
get_sock_port: getnameinfo NI_NUMERICSERV failed: ai_family not supported
Connection closed by foreign host.

Now if I look in the running process list the tunnel is gone.  Any
thoughts/suggestions?  Google has turned up very little, and no changes have
been made to either server that I am aware of.

Thanks!
Nick