[ale] VM ?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 22:59:37 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 18:44 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> hmm... my DELL didn't come with a CD, it's on that stupid rescue partition.

I hate that.  As best as I can tell, the license that you get with new
hardware permits you to transfer the installation and such just as
regular copies of Windows do.  At least in my case, the EULA was the
same as for copies of Windows that you can obtain from retailers.

However, by way of technical restrictions, I am not permitted to
actually use my license of Windows in any way that I want.  In essence,
Toshiba and Microsoft are telling me that I am not allowed to run this
copy of Windows in an emulated environment, implying that I have to buy
a new Windows XP license to do that.  If I had an attorney (or the funds
to seek one who would be able to help) I would ask them to review the
situation to see if I could come up with a way to make them bend to my
will.  I don't want to run Windows at all, frankly, and it annoys me a
great deal that I have to have it at all just to go to school online.  I
know one thing is for sure:  I am definitely re-thinking where I am
going to get my Bachelor's Degree from, because I don't think I can
stand to go through the final 2 years where I am at now.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!