[ale] VM ?

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Mon Feb 26 18:48:52 EST 2007

On Monday 26 February 2007 01:37:23 pm Jim wrote:
> VMware will let you run Windows as a guest under Linux, however it
> virtualizes all the hardware so if you like to be able to plug stuff
> into the box, like dongles, cameras, etc. and use them under Windows,
> forget it.
I have some HP stuff that works better under the windows, but most I can run
under SUSE AS IS.

> To run Windows under VMware you will either need to boot an install disk
> and install a new copy of Windows into VMware or buy a special program
> that will create a VMware image from an existing windows partition. ?
> Both of those bring up issues with licenses.

mine is dual-boot, XP/SUSE, my DELL box came installed with XP, with a free
upgrade to Vista. My laptop, also a DELL , is dual boot XP/Kubuntu.

> Xen will also let you boot a windows guest but in that case you have to
> boot an install disk AND it will only work if you have the newer
> hardware that supports hardware virtualization. ?Intel Virtual
> Technology or the AMD equivalent, I forget the name.

my laptop is a year old, the desktop is a Duo-Core, 2 Gb ram, Xmas present
from me to me:)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800