[ale] QOS Packet Filtering Solution in Linux

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Feb 22 14:43:12 EST 2007

cfowler wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 19:24 +0000, mmillard1 at comcast.net wrote:
>
>>What's the general feeling out there for using a Linux solution over
>>something like Packeteer?  We've been debating it for awhile and
>>really would like to know what kind of solutions might be out there in
>>Open Source or a cheaper but stable solution under Linux.  Does anyone
>>out there have any advice or suggestions of packages to look at based
>>on experience?
>

> I think the general consensus is that Linux provides some amazing
> capabilities for QoS.  Good luck on configuring it.  There may be a good
> disti out there targeted for QoS with a real configuration interface.

LARTC <http://www.lartc.org> provides extensive documentation
about Linux's QoS/traffic-shaping capabilities.  It also
provides some scripts, such as WonderShaper, that can serve
as the basis for experimentation.  I use WonderShaper on
my firewall to throttle bandwidth to particular machines,
and it's a great tool.  If all you need to do is make rules
like, "Limit outgoing traffic on eth0 to 1000kbps, and outgoing
traffic on eth1 to 150kbps, with bursts up to 500kbps", that
kind of thing is pretty simple. But you can also do much more
complex and involved stuff.

-- JK