[ale] need recommendations for a good local company to recover data off of a dead laptop hard drive

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 12:03:52 EST 2007

First ballpark numbers are $800 if they just have to swap out the
electronics and pull the data off.  If they have to use a clean room
to get to the heads/platters you're looking at $1500 - $2500 in my
experience.

The only 2 local options I know with clean rooms are Cherry Systems in
Marietta and a one man shop I know (IIRC Scott Moulton).  He claims to
have a full clean room and do hundreds of recoveries a year, but I
have never seen his operation or sent any business his way so I won't
recommend him.

Cherry exclusively does recoveries and is (was) a 5 or 10 man
operation.  They charge an evaluation fee of a several hundred dollars
last I worked with them (3 yrs ago).  We quit using them because of
the eval fee, maybe they have changed the way they do business.

We exclusively work with ActionFront out of Chicago now.  (They closed
their Norcross office a year or 2 ago but they work well via FedEx.)
They have a minimal eval fee and are owned by Seagate (They were
bought just before they consolidated to Chicago.).  Also they do
hundreds of drives a week as I recall so they have plenty of
experience.

If you decide to go with ActionFront give them our name (The Norcross
Group) and they may pay us a small lead generation fee.

Thanks
Greg

On 2/22/07, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:

> I don't know of a local company ? I used Pivar successfully years ago to
> recover a dead Xenix drive for me.   They talk about conversions on their
> web site but as I recall they have a clean room where they can actually
> disassemble a hard drive to get data off of it.
>

> http://www.pivar.com/convert/capabili/index.htm

Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century