[ale] Video Card Recommendations

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 01:53:42 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 20:30 -0500, Brian Pitts wrote:

> Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> > I'd rather not spend alot, especially since I'm not a gamer, but do some
> > photo editing and such.
> I'm a fan of the Radeon 9000 and 9200 series of cards. They're cheap and
> have good 3D support through the open-source R200 driver.
>
> $32 after rebate
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103166
>
> I remember the Geforce 5 series being highly criticized when it came
> out, but the reasons probably doesn't  matter for your purposes.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_5

There are NVIDIA based cards available at WalMart for not terribly much,
if you don't mind using proprietary software.

However, if you can get a computer or card (don't know if the latter is
possible) that runs on one of the Intel chipsets, you're pretty much
good to go.  As I understand it, the Intel drivers are not proprietary.
Of course, this brings up the question, are there graphics cards that
are based around the Intel chipsets, or do they only come on motherboard
chipsets as integrated video?

I also remember reading something not that long back on the web about an
open source graphics hardware thing, but they're not close to a product,
IIRC.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!