[ale] Bellsouth and SMTP

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Feb 19 18:01:39 EST 2007

Most ISPs block (and should block) OUTgoing port 25 traffic, i.e., your
random TCP port number to port 25 of any system on the Internet except
the ISP's outgoing mail server.  This is so their anti-spam software can
detect a dishonest or compromised subscriber sending out lots of spam.

Blocking incoming traffic to your home system's TCP port 25 is just
sleazy blackmail to force you to upgrade to higher priced business
service.  That's also why they block incoming traffic to TCP port 80.
If the FCC wasn't corrupt Mmmmm [Girlfriend applies duct tape to mouth
to stop ranting].

I got tired of the incompetent morons at Comcast (my opinion) screwing
up my outbound email so I just set up a SSH-based VPN from my firewall's
inside port to a server I lease access to.

I suppose that I should do something similar for incoming email but
fetchmail works.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]