[ale] "Fake" Sata RAID

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Feb 15 17:22:59 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 17:12 -0500, Fritz Pietrzak wrote:
> I am trying to install CentOS 4.4 to a box with a pair of 80GB SATA
> drives with are attached to an Intel 82801fr SATA RAID controller.
> However, whenever I try to enable the RAID feature in BIOS (using RAID1)
> GRUB will not load.  Has anyone run in to this and do you have a
> solution that will allow me to mirror my drive?  Thanks,

Don't use fake raid.

If you have to then skip it and treat them like 2 SATA drives.  Use md
tools in Linux to RAID1 the drives.

Make sure you install grub on *both* drives.  That way if one goes bad
it will still boot

Also don't place swap on one drive but on a md device.  If a device goes
bad and you are swapping on that drive you'll box will die.

These are just a few things I learned when dealing with fakeraid and md
tools.