[ale] Building a custom kernel on Ubuntu systems

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:56:33 EST 2007

I have attempted to figure out how to do this on my own, but it seems
that there is something getting in the way that I can't figure out in
the Ubuntu setup.  I have built custom kernels on many a distribution,
but I am having problems with this, and I can't figure out why.

In a nutshell, any custom kernel I build results in a non-functional
system.  It acts like it is booting up, but then the system freezes, and
that's all she wrote.

I have searched around on the 'net and found tutorials that claim to
work under Ubuntu systems, but they don't include any instructions that
make the kernel actually work -- they merely give information on how to
build a kernel for people who don't already know how to do that.

I am not sure if this is a problem with Ubuntu in particular, or
Debian-based systems in general, either; I just know that I can't build
a kernel on any Ubuntu system that works.  The reason is to include some
USB-hardware fixups for hardware that I have, but that Ubuntu hasn't
fixed (they were fixed upstream, but they won't package 2.6.20 for Edgy,
nor Feisty, as I understand it).

Any ideas?  Is there some black magic that is required to get a custom
kernel to work with an Ubuntu system?

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!