[ale] SPF settings (was Kmail and pgp ATTN: ROBERT REESE)

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Wed Feb 14 15:26:03 EST 2007

Hi Jeremy, et al,

On 2/14/2007 at 2:17 PM Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

>Robert Reese wrote:
>> That said, I've had a few people tell me they couldn't send me an email
>for one reason or other; this may be one of those reasons.  I always
>thought it was Godaddy's fault (my host), and maybe it is.  I'll look into
>it and see what I can uncover on my end.

>	If you're still working to implement SPF on your domain it's advised
>that you use "~all" rather than "-all". The difference is subtle makes a
>world of difference. The ~ tells the receiver to tag but accept it, the
>- tells the receiver to reject it if it doesn't match. The former will
>allow you to try and locate those hosts sending email under your domain
>without causing disruption so you can tweak and modify your SPF entry.
>
>	On the ironic note I did notice sixit.com did not have an SPF entry
>themselves but were using it to filter apparently.

I didn't set up any filters that weren't set by default from Godaddy hosting.  My understanding is that I can can add/edit/etc. my MX entries, but I've never needed to do so; at least not with sixit.com.  I'm seriously considering changing the hosting for sixit.com to a Unix server, perhaps as soon as before Friday.

The distinction between -all and ~all would make for one of those "look-closely, then look again" lessons.  My father's site doesn't need to send email yet, so your sage advice is certainly timely.  And for any new sixit.com email hosting, I'll look specifically for the SPF. :c)

Cheers,
Robert~