[ale] NIC Bonding with multiple IP addresses (is it possible?)

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Feb 8 15:33:16 EST 2007

I think his question was - is it possible to do aliasing on bonded NICs.

e.g. you have eth0 and eth1 as physical NICS slaved to bond0 (a virtual
NIC).  Can you then have a bond0 and a bond0:1?

I don't know the answer.  I've used aliasing and I've used bonding but
never both at once.  Just figured I'd try to clarify the question as it
seems an interesting one.  I'd guess the answer was no since bond0 isn't
a real NIC.  (similarly ethtool and mii-tool don't really deal with
bond0 though they may give you an answer [bogus answer of course])