[ale] Zapmedia Zapstation

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Aug 29 22:03:01 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 21:28 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> I thought I'd post a follow-up on about the Zapstation. I was able to
> put the BIOS chip in an Asus motherboard of the same generation and
> flash it. I had to use Asus's special flashing utility; Uniflash saw it
> as read-only. After flashing I could see at the POST screen that the RAM
> was registering as only 32mb! I put in a 128mb PC-100 stick and booted
> SystemRescueCD. Everything looked good except the locked hard drive. I
> rebooted into freedos, burned a cd with qunlock, and unlocked the hard
> drive. Now the Zapstation's linux OS loads and I'm able to navigate
> through the functions using the front-panel buttons. Sadly my usb
> keyboard doesn't work.
>
> I suppose I'll add a larger hard drive now and install a newer linux
> distribution. It's a shame to lose the front panel lcd and buttons
> (particularly the eject button), but a working keyboard is a must.

Check the board for an internal header for another USB connection. Also
check the bios for legacy usb (make it on). For that matter I recall it
used a remote keyboard for the production models (?infrared?). I only
had a pre-production version so it was more like a PC than a zapstation.

> If anyone knows a Doug who lived at street number 270 in Athens, have
> him contact me if he needs the photos off this thing.

Just post them on flicker...

Mwhahahaha!