[ale] OT: Slightly Linking T-Bird's calendar to Google

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 28 18:01:49 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 02:06:40 pm Scott Castaline wrote:
> Anyone know if it's possible to link the Lightning Calendar plug-in for
> T-Bird to Google 's calendar? I'd like to be able to create events on
> Lightning which transparently get loaded on my google calendar and vice
> versa. Otherwords using Lightning as a local client and Google as the
> server for iCal. I tried importing the iCal file from Google, but that
> didn't work as Lightning complained that it was unreadable. It seems to
> work with I think it's KPim or something like that, but I'd rather do
> the T-Bird/Lightning route as I usually leave T-Bird open all the time.

There's a program out there that does exactly what you want:

http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/

The site has instructions for making it work with just about any mail client,
Thunderbird included. Once it's set up, just add instructions to start the
daemon in rc.local and then every time you open your desktop mail client, it
will be synced with GCal. Mine works like a charm with Kontact too.