[ale] script or app to set all files to lower case

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Aug 27 22:59:20 EDT 2007

I have utility that will do the case conversion, but it is part of file migration utility. I could create another LUN and use the utility to copy and convert.

The plus doing it that way is that I leave the original files intact.

I can also do a precopy while the database is live and then do a change update with a reduced downtime for the final copy.

I was looking at file rename to reduce the downtime, but it may not buy me anything time-wise and would be riskier.

I'm only looking at about 60GB to move, and the change update will probably only take about a 1/2 hour.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

James Taylor, on 08/27/2007 10:23 PM said:
> That worked a little better.
> It renamed all the files and folders at the immediate level, but had problems recursing.
>
> The following is an example of the errors generated.
>
> mv: cannot move `./SNAPINS/NWCADM32.DLL' to `./snapins/nwcadm32.dll': No such file or directory
>
> It looks a little like it's enumerating the file list, and once the directory has been renamed, it can't find it to write the new file name to.

You might need to try doing it in a for loop 20-30 times then.  I am
looking for another way to enumerate the files, but not finding anything
that would be anywhere near as quick.

That said, here's one that will skip if the file name is already all
lower case:

Michael B. Trausch               Internet Mail & Jabber: mike at trausch.us
Phone:  (404) 592-5746 x1                         http://www.trausch.us/
Mobile: (678) 522-7934             VoIP: 6453 at sip.trausch.us, 861384 at fwd