[ale] network question

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Aug 27 22:10:05 EDT 2007

We're looking at moving to 10GB on the iSCSI storage for some of our clients.  The gig links are starting to show some bottlenecks for some of the LUNs supporting databases.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 09:18 -0700, Bruce wrote:
> Off topic, and of no help - but Man!!!! What are you
> running? 4 Gigabit NICs bonded? That is some serious
> throughput!

It actually feeds a SAN device running 10G :) Each server has 6 Gb Nics.
New design has 3 up and 3 downstream bonded. Upstream (to AoE array)
uses jumbo frames (which works nicely with a 4k blocks - get 2 blocks in
one call).

Multiple servers accessing an AoE storage array. 500MB/s throughput from
the storage array.

Ran the bonded 4 Gb Nics on a large scale LTSP project. That provided
the data pipe downstream to the 100+ thin clients hanging off each
server.

I am called "The Over Engineer".  :)

Bandwidth was NOT going to be the bottleneck!