[ale] memory leaks?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Aug 27 17:23:35 EDT 2007

Geoffrey wrote:

> Any particular tools folks use to locate memory leaks?  I'm aware of
> valgrind and various options to top and ps to see memory usage, but I'm
> wondering if there are other tools folks are using I'm not aware.

There are memory-debugging versions of glibc's malloc() and free():
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Allocation-Debugging.html
Not fancy, but effective.

I used this to debug some memory leaks in a multi-threaded
real-time C++ program.  It worked a *lot* better than valgrind,
which slowed everything to a crawl and pretty much prevented
the app from working at all (due to missing all its deadlines).

-- JK

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens