[ale] Ale Digest, Vol 159, Issue 31

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Aug 24 18:44:01 EDT 2007

Scully Wu, on 08/24/2007 05:40 PM said:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks. I am using SUSE10.2.
>
> So can I add "usbcore.blinkenlights=1" to the end of the line
> "kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1 <http://2.6.22.1> root=/dev/hda1
> vga=0x303    resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent showopts" in my
> /boot/grub/menu.lst?

Indeed you can.  However, I am not familiar with SuSE, so I don't know
how it retains/overwrites the GRUB configuration.  Someone else wrote
about another way to do just that, which is more likely to be preserved
by the distribution.

> Do I need reboot?

Yes, to change kernel parameters---for drivers that are built statically
into the kernel---you will need a reboot.

> Can I pass the parameter now and forevermore by this way? Thanks.

See above.

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch              Internet Mail & Jabber: mike at trausch.us
Phone:  (404) 592-5746 x1                        http://www.trausch.us/