[ale] [Fwd: Pirate Banned from Using Linux]

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Aug 24 13:27:56 EDT 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Robert Reese wrote:

> On 8/23/2007 at 6:07 PM Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>
>> I find this interesting that the DOJ went and told Microsoft, "Bad,
>> bad!" and now is forcing people to use the very software they said was a
>> monopoly.  They're giving this guy a monitoring system that runs on his
>> PC in software... what's the point of the monitoring software at all?
>
> Guberment lapdogs don't know nuttin' else 'cept windows.  Let's face it, with government pay its not like most of the agencies can afford programmers of any salt.  (We do know which ones *can*, of course.)
>

>> What's even worse is that they are requiring that the man purchase a
>> license for Windows so that he can use their monitoring software.  Does
>> this make any sense to anyone else, because the sanity of it evades me.
>> I would rather rot in jail than be forced to enter into an agreement
>> which I do not agree to, that's for sure.
>
> Just to make them ill, he oughta get Vista and see if their software works on it.  Ooh, better yet, Windows 3.11. ;c)
>

> Okay, in all seriousness, what is to prevent him from getting a LiveCD and a thumbdrive?

Well, he could work from just a thumb drive couldn't he? Such things are
bootable afterall.

I wonder if his case is assigned to an technically savy judge. That is,
one that would be open to having evidence submitted that 1) the monitoring
software system is so weak as to be functionally absurd 2) forcing
somebody to pay for software that isn't their choice isn't acceptable and
3) a better system can be found for about the same amount of $$$

Probably not, but I can wish