[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Aug 23 19:52:48 EDT 2007

Jim Philips wrote:

> I have had a few freaky things with Kubuntu. I'll go to remove some seemingly
> inconsequential package and apt-get comes back and tells me it will also
> remove the entire Kubuntu desktop. Wha?!

In a nutshell: The package kubuntu-desktop is a metapackage that depends
on all the software Kubuntu ships by default. If you try to remove some
of that software, the metapackage must be uninstalled. This doesn't mean
that all the software it depends on will be uninstalled, so feel free to
do it. However, you must reinstall kubuntu-desktop before upgrading to a
new version of Kubuntu.

-Brian