[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 16:35:35 EDT 2007

Brian Pitts wrote:
<replies are inline>
> I can't think of anything apt-get tracks that aptitude wouldn't. However:
>
> 'apt-get remove' leaves orphaned packages. 'aptitude remove' doesn't.

deborphan?

> 'aptitude dist-upgrade' ranks and presents several options to resolve
> dependency problems. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' gives up.

hmmm, maybe i haven't had this problem?  can't recall a dist-upgrade
giving up on my in recent memory.  maybe if there was some type of
version conflict with what was installed and what it believed was
available.  again, haven't had this problem recently.

> 'aptitude' records all actions in /var/log/aptitude

i know that aptitude is the preferred front end for dpkg, but i have
been using plain ole apt for so long...

> Those are the advantages of aptitude that come to mind.

there was a discussion on debian-user (think it was about 5 weeks ago
and called "Benefits of using aptitude") where this was talked about.
one of the posts talked about how if you mixed apt and aptitude that
aptitude would eventually get confused and want to remove vital
components.  mainly it concerns someone if they are running either a
mixed environment (such as myself) or something other than "stable".