[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:40:01 EDT 2007

You should. They are not the same thing. Ubuntu is a derivative of
Debian. In its infancy, Ubuntu was a mishmash of Debian's stable,
testing, and unstable repositories with a pretty installer and a
reliance on sudo. I don't know how they decide which packages to bring
in from Debian now, if at all. I don't follow Ubuntu.

As was mentioned, Debian is more of a "power user" distribution. For
the most part, if you don't install it, you won't have it. There are
several nice things about Debian, in my opinion. 1) The dpkg package
manager (including apt). 2) The default configs for packages are
generally pretty sane. 3) The filesystem layout is well done and
maintained.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/