[ale] Sanitizing dead hard drive

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Aug 20 14:22:12 EDT 2007

The simplest and quickest method that works against all but the most
persistent hackers (such as NSA and friends) is the following.

Drill one or more holes the drive and case from top to bottom.  Be sure
to drill through the circuit board too.  I don't know for sure but I'm
confident that that gives good protection easily.

For 100% protection I suggest either sanding the platters (sanding by
hand is fine) or applying battery acid (if your are trained to handle
it).

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]