[ale] Sanitizing dead hard drive

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sat Aug 18 09:41:16 EDT 2007

Geoffrey wrote:
> aaron wrote:
>
>> Dead drive disks make GREAT rhythm / percussion
>> instruments -- their high grade aluminum produces a
>> crisp, high pitched, ringing mini-gong / finger cymbal
>> sound.  Put your thumb through the platter hole, tap the
>> platter with a hard striker, roll your fingers and hear the
>> pitch shift in a pleasant "wah" sound as you mute it.
>
> I bet a few strung together would make a nice wind chime.  I might have
> to try that one out.
>
>> One of the favorites among my many "found sound"
>> instruments.
>
> You gotta love the occasional unexpected musical instrument. In my
> daughter's marching band they use an old automobile wheel drum for a
> percussion instrument. ;)

When I worked for Seagate in the cleanroom, we used to take the damaged
ones and spin them on the floor and see how high up the wall we could
get them. For those who have never seen a cleanroom, there are no
squared off corners, they're all rounded so that dust and dirt can't get
trapped in them and accumalate. If the room is narrow enough and you get
a hard enough spin you could literally get one to roll up and down, back
and forth for a few passes. Ahh the fun days at SeaTrash.