[ale] Sanitizing dead hard drive

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Aug 18 00:25:08 EDT 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 18:07, David Corbin wrote:
> What do you folks do when a hard drive "dies"
> (i.e. you cannot get it work in
> your PC) and you wish to dispose of it?  I'm not worried about they physical
> disposal (I'll save it for electronic recycling) if I can be confident that
> the data on won't be readable by someone with advanced tools.  So the
> question is, how do you make sure that the data cannot be read.
>
> Thanks

:-) Disregarding that concern over someone tracking your
dead drive, snagging it from a trashpile, resurrecting the
device by tediously replacing the electronics with working
duplicates and then forensically recovering your prawn
collection is just a tad on the paranoid side... ;-)

If it really concerns you, you can disassemble the drive
and remove the platters. A large electromagnet in contact
proximity should render the data permanently unreadable.

And THEN you can use the platters to make some music!

Dead drive disks make GREAT rhythm / percussion
instruments -- their high grade aluminum produces a
crisp, high pitched, ringing mini-gong / finger cymbal
sound.  Put your thumb through the platter hole, tap the
platter with a hard striker, roll your fingers and hear the
pitch shift in a pleasant "wah" sound as you mute it.

One of the favorites among my many "found sound"
instruments.

peace
aaron