[ale] [OT] Webhosting site

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Thu Aug 16 14:55:56 EDT 2007

On 8/16/2007 at 2:10 PM Calvin Harrigan wrote:

>I know this has been beaten to death, so one more kick couldn't hurt.
>Do any of you know of a good (namely cheap) web hosting companies.  It's
>for personal, not commercial use.  Mostly for sharing pictures.  Don't

Do you want to do anything else besides pictures?  If not, then take a look at smugmug.com.  ($5 disount: http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=N2DVOMFMpBc1U (me)   50% discount: coupon code 'yahoo')  I discovered smugmug about a year ago and looked high and low for a freebie that did what they do, so last month I signed up myself *and* gave my mother a personal account for Mother's Day (bad mistake... now she expects *frequent* pictures of her grandson to be posted!).  None of them do, not even ones included with a hosting service.  IIRC, they're about $40 per year for photo hosting with practically no limits (https://www.smugmug.com/aboutus/limits.mg?popUp=true).  Really, the limitations are no pr0n, not a host non-photographic web graphics for commercial websites, and the size limit is 8-megabytes per picture, which is a pretty darn big picture even if it is in RAW format.  There appears to be no limit on bandwidth ("views") or the number of pictures you shove up to it or the disk space.  Nor is there a monthly limit on those like some services.  And yes, there's a 14-day free trial.  (I was hooked when a distant relative sent wedding pictures hosted on smugmug; the trial was moot.)

On the other hand, for just plain web hosting without email consider nearlyfreespeech.net where you pay for bandwidth and storage.  It's *super* cheap hosting and works well.  An added bonus is they appear to let you speak your mind without worry of losing your account.

I've also been rather happy with dreamhost.com and hostmonster.com, both are inexpensive and feature-intensive.  Another one that piqued my interest but I haven't tried them is thinkhost.com.

I recommend staying away from olm.net, aplus.net, hostgator, and flickr, and I haven't been terribly happy with godaddy hosting.

Hope this helps,
Robert~

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

SIXIT Consulting