[ale] OT: offline malware removal tool for windoze

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Thu Aug 16 13:53:13 EDT 2007

On 8/16/2007 at 8:36 AM Sid Lane wrote:

>responsible for).  she says "I'm not saying you did it" - um, yea,
>considering I never connected the stupid thing to the internet I'd say it's
>possible it was there before...

Remind her that it wasn't you that didn't keep the operating system up-to-date, nor her antivirus and antispyware and firewall up-to-date, and it wasn't you that used Internet Explorer and answered "yes" to everything that popped up without bothering to read or understand the message, and it wasn't you that used unsafe email programs and surfed unsafe websites.  Most likely what you did was kill one spyware program that was preventing another spyware program from operating.  Oddly enough, spyware companies are quite competitive and do attack each other, preventing each other from operating.  Remind her it isn't your fault she's using pirated software and can't reinstall the OS nor install needed updates.

Or at least look her in the eye and tell her damn right you didn't do it.

Now if you feel a little vindictive, suggest she consider a very reasonably priced (as in under $500/$600) laptop with Vista.  Tell her it's more virus and spyware-proof.  You won't be lying, since it really is safer than XP sp1!

Cheers,
Robert~

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

SIXIT Consulting