[ale] Taking the plunge

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Aug 15 13:06:55 EDT 2007

Greg Freemyer wrote:

> My second basic question is which office solution to use since I have
> to be compatible with the rest of the company/clients.  ie.
> Interoperability is key.
>
> 1) Open Office 2.2 from the suse build service
> 2) Sun Office (from ??)
> 3) MS Office via wine (does it work?)
> 4) MS Office in a Xen VM.

I've used OpenOffice exclusively since 2002. When transferring files
between OO Writer and Word in doc format, I had occasional problems with
lists and headings in the 1.x series, but nothing in recent memory. Base
is the only OO application I don't care for.

> Question 3:
> I need to make a Viseo type drawing today.  I can deliver it to others
> as a PDF.  What tool should I use?

I've always used DIA because of the special objects it has for
entity-relationship models, circuits, etc. I don't think it exports
directly to pdf, but there's always cups-pdf. I've never used viseo so I
can't make a comparison.

-Brian