[ale] gdm crashes my laptop

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 15 09:28:07 EDT 2007

From: "joh6nn" <joh6nn at joh6nn.com>
To: ale at ale.org
> you could try that, but my extremely inexpert opinion is that it's
> probably not gdm, but rather some package that got held back, or didn't
> install properly.  see if you can boot into single user mode, and see
> what 'apt-get check -u' tells you.

I'll try that. I don't have the laptop with me right now. I got the machine
to not crash when I boot it though. I had to boot from a ubuntu CD and
remove the symlink /etc/rc2.d/S21gdm. So then it wouldn't try to start gdm
when I turned the machine on.

[But why in the world does debian start gdm for run level 2?]

Then I ran 'apt-get  install -f' to see if any packages were partially
installed. But that came up clean. I'm not familiar with the check action
for apt-get. ButI will try that tonight.

I need to get off Windows. It's not an emergency but I don't get any more
upgrades to my Windows screen reader. And a license costs $1000.