[ale] Help me build a new /home

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Fri Aug 10 17:30:42 EDT 2007

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 07:45:25 -0400 Jeremy wrote:
JTB> Brian Pitts wrote:
JTB> > Evan Pitstick wrote:
JTB> > I'd try rsync -a; I'm sure someone will pipe up if that's not a good idea.
JTB> >
JTB>     If you hadn't mentioned it I would have...

Ditto... I like being able to put in the new drive and start the rsync while
I'm still using the old home.. once it finishes, shutdown, boot to since user
mode, rsync again to catch files that have change, swap the fstab entries,
reboot/manually swap mounts, and you are on your way with much less downtime
(assuming /home is large, this can be a big time saver).