[ale] vi is the winner

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 13:37:51 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 20:20 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> as much as I agree, I installed and looked at emacs just recently, and
> I was
> amazed... If I hadn't been using VI for 20 years, I'd take a hard look
> at
> emacs.. version control, read news, send mail...

The Emacs support for version control is one of the "killer features"
that brought me over to it.  Not only because I like to code on
occasion, but because I have always known that it is a good thing to
have config files in SCM repositories and never really maintained them
even though I knew that.  So Emacs lets me do nearly no extra work, and
when I am done making edits to the config file that I am working on
(say, my Asterisk configuration), I can just commit the changes (and it
saves the file for me in one action, too).

Truly nifty.  I don't use it for Email or NNTP, but I do view and
occasionally edit C, C++, C#, Python, and shell script code with it.  I
couldn't imagine doing it any other way now, and I have only been using
Emacs for roughly 3-4 years (compared to the fact that I used vi from
1996 until 2004-2005ish).

    --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                                Web:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!