[ale] vi is the winner

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Aug 7 11:39:54 EDT 2007

> For users new to Linux I have always suggested good old Pico, works great
> and is somewhat like notepad for new windows converts.

Pico's a good place for newbie basic text file editing.

I'm still using Joe in "Wordstar" mode.
Something to be said about having/using almost the same
command/shortcut keys as Wordstar since the mid 80's.

It's also pretty easy to install on systems, ranging from
apt-get install joe, rpm's.. and just copying a binary
to remote systems and putting a .joerc in the home dir.

It even works in Cygwin on WinXP :) - A lot to be said about
using a single cross platform editor. Recently, it's UTF-8 support
for strange character sets (traditional chinese) has been
a lifesaver.

I -can- use vi, but I gave up a moded editor in the 80's.