[ale] 2nd generation iPod shuffle with Linux?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Aug 7 06:30:44 EDT 2007

----- David Tomaschik <ozone at webgroup.org> wrote:
> I've used a 2nd Generation Shuffle with no problems under Linux.  That
> being said, it should be noted that it has NO partition table.  The
> entire device is a single FAT filesystem.  I don't think formatting it
> will blow away the firmware, but I'm not sure.  I did have one die on me
> (hardware issue) and the Apple store was very good about exchanging it
> right then and there.

Let it be known that *you* are a righteous dude ;). I had seen folks have luck with mounting the entire disk (/dev/sda), but it never occurred to me that there would be no partition table. I just presumed that mine was different.

So, while mount /dev/sda /media/ipod wouldn't work for me..."mount -t vfat /dev/sda /media/ipod" did. I am so stoked right now!

So, I'm now presented with the file structure at the end of this message. I presume that I don't simply want to blow it away. What tools are you using that can understand this?

Thanks again David!

John

/media/ipod/
/media/ipod/.Trashes
/media/ipod/.Trashes/501
/media/ipod/.Trashes/._501
/media/ipod/iPod_Control
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesControl
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesPrefs
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iEKInfo
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesSD
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesShuffle
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesPState
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesStats
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/._iTunes
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f00
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f00/GKVD.m4a
<snipped full list for brevity/>
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f02/ZQYA.m4a
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f02/QXKY.mp3
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f02/IOPI.mp3
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f02/BXNB.mp3
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f02/VCIY.mp3
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f02/._RPRT.m4a
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f02/KBHC.mp3
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f02/RPRT.m4a
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/._F02
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/._Music
/media/ipod/._iPod_Control
/media/ipod/.VolumeIcon.icns