[ale] OT: Diffie-Hellman key exchange for dummies?

List lst at wiencko.net
Sat Aug 4 20:49:17 EDT 2007

Jay,

I sort of hope somebody disagrees with me, but, the short answer to your
question is no, this really is black magic unless you want to learn some
of the basics of number theory and set theory which underly what is
going on here.  In general terms, why it works is related to some of the
magic of prime numbers, and some very clever computational insights that
Diffie, Hellman, and (independently) Merkle figured out.  The secret
sauce is that it is really easy to multiply two prime numbers together
and get an answer, but it is very difficult to take the answer and
figure out what the two prime numbers were.  Beyond that the math gets
pretty deep pretty fast.

One of the inventors (Martin Hellman) wrote a very readable piece about
the technology for the IEEE 30 years ago called "An Overview of Public
Key Cryptography" which is available here:
http://www.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/public/anniv/pdfs/hellman.pdf

Tom