[ale] OT: Voting machines cracked in California

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 13:20:35 EDT 2007

On 8/2/07, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com> wrote:

>   The guys who wrote this report had a bunch of advantages -- among them
> were access to the source code and unlimited time to investigate the
> physical machines.  I'm not tryin' to discount the severity of the flaws
> they found, which were pretty way badd.  But there are two other reports
> from two other teams which have yet to be published. Felten suspects that
> these reports are even more damning.

The thing is, these people seem to be assuming that since the source code is
not publicly released that no one has access to it. What about the
programmers that worked on the project? What about the people with the
access keys? They are just as capable of compromising the system and they
would have easier access to the system than any voter. I bet that Steve Weir
guy buries his money in his back yard to keep it safe. Open Source is like
giving a burglar your house keys? Give me a break... This thing should have
been built from the ground up with security in mind, instead of slapped on
as an afterthought. Was this one of those things that gets sent to the
lowest bidder?
-Steve Brown