[ale] Some amending info about installing the SUSE linux on my Virtual Machine.

Hxsrmeng hxsrmeng at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:55:35 EDT 2007

Actually I should make it more clearly,
My laptop has mixed system, Windows XP and Utuntu 7.04. I am trying to
install a virtual machine on the Utuntu part.

I am using VMware server 1.03 and openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso

Thank you all.

==================
My original question:
Hi,

I am trying to install a SUSE linux on my virtual machine. The host
system is Ubuntu 1.04. (The mixed Windows XP system only has 3 M free
capacity, I don't think it's good for a VM host.)

I created a new VM, and started to install the SUSE linux. Everything
was fine untill the "vmware" quit automatically after "installation" but
before "configuration".

I got into it with the rescue mode, login in as root, it showed no files
in folder /root
I reboot from CD (iso), and repair the installation. Finally it turned out:

when checking Fstab entries, could not find existing deices for debugfs
and usbfs. (So, I removed these lines.)
Failed in repair mimimal package selection. (missing smtp_daemon)
Failed in instal boot loader.

It still doesn't work. Is is anything else I can do? I really don't want
to re-install it. It took me about 10 hrs last day,  though it  showed
remaining time "1:51:**". Every second actually took about 10 seconds to
go :) . In the meantime, my laptop was too slow to do anything else....
And, the most important thing is, I don't know what the wrong was?  And
will I meet the same situation after another painful 10 hrs?

Thank you.