[ale] USB External hard drives

Randal Jarrett rsj at radio.org
Wed Aug 1 22:13:17 EDT 2007

Instead of spending extra money on external USB drives which for the
most part
run very hot, unless you go for the high end external cases with fans,
which are
usually significantly more expensive.

Look at getting a 'cool' case for your system.  There are many on the
market.

I purchased the "Antec Nine Hundred" case.  It has a 200mm(20cm) fan on
the
top, a 120mm(12cm) fan on the back, provision for a 120mm(12cm) fan on
the
side panel.

There are drive modules that each hold 3 3-1/2" drives that each have a
120mm
(12cm) fan that is just inside the front cover of the module.

Lots of air flow to keep the drives cool, lots of fan but it is very
quiet.

The drives are not as easy to wire up as my Thermaltake cases are with
the
side loading drives that have all the wiring on the outside facing you
when
you open the case but they are quiet.

--
Randy Jarrett  K4RSJ