[ale] On Topic: Exchange->Linux->PDA

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 28 12:22:54 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:35:53AM -0400, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>   At work we have an exchange system used for calendaring.  Luckily Mail
> is on a different system for techs.  Strange setup but that's how it is.
> At any rate I'd like to use my Linux laptop to pull calendar date from
> the exchange server, even the web-mail interface if I must.  Anyone know
> a good way to do this that is less than 5 steps per sync?

What kind of calendar data, and what do you want to do with it?  If you
just want to view meeting invitations, and possibly add them to a local
calendar, Evolution will do what you want out of the box.  I think you
can even accept or decline invitations and the sender will get your
response; but I haven't used Evolution/Exchange since we migrated to
Lotus Notes a few years back (rant: if you want to gain a new
appreciation for exchange, try using Lotus Notes for a while).
Certainly you can do all this with the Exchange Connector plugin.

I don't know if it's possible for Evolution with or without the
Connector plugin to import existing calendar data.  You can probably
export your calendar from Outlook to an iCalendar file though, which
Evolution can import.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9